Sunday 14 December 2014

Hugs and stuff

Dear Ella,

Your sister is home for Christmas - delivered safe and sound yesterday - exhausted and discombobulated - a little like you used to be when you arrived home from hospital.

I contained my "excitement" to three hugs and three questions in the first half hour!  24 hours later - its like she's never been away.

A day of just being at home, knocking around each other in a relatively comfortable, familiar and peaceful way.  A way that would be strange to others - in the same way that "their way" would be strange and unfamiliar to us.  It's our rhythm and routine - ands just for now its good enough, not special, yet very special.

As I hand washed (yep you read that right) her favourite jumper - I thought of my Mum - and all the times I went home.  Being a good Mum she just let me fit back in and found ways to seamlessly and unconditionally be my Mum - that I never even noticed or recognised.  Being a Mum - a thankless yet wonderful role and position to hold.   Am trying to learn to be better at it every day.

Lots of love

Mum
XX



No comments:

Post a Comment