Friday 20 December 2013

Mum's

Dear Ella,


Someone shared this on FB today - Ricky Gervais talking about how he celebrates Christmas and remembering people that are no more and in his case, specifically his Mum.

Gosh, Granny loved Christmas - carols, cooking, the food, the family gatherings - just about all of it

Lots of love

Mum
XX

Gervais shared how he prefers to celebrate the Christmas period, and spoke fondly of past moments with his mother Eva, who passed away in 2000.

"[I'll be] eating and drinking too much with friends and family," he wrote. "Celebrating life and remembering those that did, but can no longer.

"They are not looking down on me but they live in my mind and heart more than they ever did probably. Some, I was lucky enough to bump into on this planet of six billion people. Others shared much of my genetic material. One selflessly did her best for me all my life."

He admitted that he shed some tears while speaking about his mother, and what she meant to him during the festive season.

"That's what mums do though," he said. "They do it for no other reason than love. Not for reward. Not for recognition. They create you. From nothing. Miracle? They do those every day. No big deal.

"They are not worshipped. They would give their life without the promise of heaven. They teach you everything they know yet they are not declared prophets. And you only have one.

"I am crying as I write this. It usually gets me this time of year. That's what's special about Christmas. It's when you visit or reminisce about the ones you love. And reflect on how lucky you are. How they helped shape you."


1 comment:

  1. Indeed, our Mum new how to put on a good Xmas (as does Ella's Mum!). RickyGervais is right, it is a good time to recall happy memories, love U Bob

    ReplyDelete