Saturday 1 March 2014

Scheduling time to be unscheduled

Dear Ella,

Sounds mad - huh, scheduling time to be unscheduled?  But - I am getting better at it.  This habit is not something you ever had to practice, and I am sure I never had to when I was your age.

Somehow, as we (I think particularly females) get older - we make ourselves so busy, list writing, getting jobs done, tidying up, chores completed and ticked off, schedules adhered too- that we never make time for doing nothing in particular.  It feels unnatural and dare I even say it wrong!  Being busy becomes the norm and a habit that is hard to break.

My case in point this morning - sunshine filtering into the kitchen, peace and quiet the weekend stretching luxuriosly out in front of me. My first instinct - "quick write a list of all the things I should get done over the next 24 hours" - clean floor, get prescription, shuffle paperwork, sort your room out, go food shopping, take stuff to charity shop, take broken light to tip, catch up on e mails, go for a run and on it goes……but no.   Instead, I am taking the next hour to do nothing in particular - except enjoy the moment, write to you - and well whatever.   I am even managing to ignore tidying Sophie's clutter (lovely she arrived home last night - which of course means Doc Martins akimbo on the kitchen floor, piles of laundry and well - just stuff).

Having just read what I have written, ironically, I can see that I have sort written my list of things to do - hey ho, old habits dies hard, but I am still sitting still enjoying the moment and honestly doing nothing in particular.

Sometimes I find it easier to be unscheduled when I have got stuff done - then its like a reward and I can relax into doing nothing in particular stance and that is very satisfying and enjoyable.  It also helps if I have the right equipment to hand - my trusty laptop, a cup of coffee, my journal for scribbling random  things in, stuff to read - but most of all peace and quiet.  Ah bliss.

Crazy I know - and I still  hear you saying "Mum, just stop and sit down" - see, I'm still listening and here I am sitting down, doing nothing in particular, other than writing to you.

Lots of love
Mum
xx









No comments:

Post a Comment